Design for Social Business
8 months | Language
Prof. Muhammad Yunus states "By defining entrepreneurship in a broader way we can change the character of capitalism radically".
Design for Social Business
redefines and researches how design process and designing methods have to change and adjust in order to fulfill the premise serving social business for the bottom of the pyramid.
Open-minded applicants from diverse academic and industry backgrounds, who are interested in design for social business where innovation will happens in the future. People characterized by their desire to extend their thinking and design by engaging.
D4SB is an Master course comprehending 60 ECTS
which demands that students to devote 30 hours per week to their studies, for 30 weeks per year, covering at least 8 month of study.
Students will do design research and supporting methodologies as Ethnography, Semiotics and appropriate Discourse Analysis, to develop tools which can allow to innovate within the social business segment and creatively with business, culture and society.
The focus of Design for Social Business Master Course
is on developing practitioners who can identify and develop, strategic and innovative designs for social business, and who are comfortable working in collaborative, multi-disciplinary and multicultural contexts.
The graduates of this course will have developed an international perspective, will have visited the environments they design for and will have understood how design will have to shift to serve developing countries as well. Our graduates will also be able to translate between the discourses of design, the adjacent business and have developed the skills to focus creativity.
Graduates of the Design for Social Business Master Course
will be highly attractive to potential employers in business sectors who have already indicated that there is a need to generate new business models, products and services, which serve the poor. This course will help graduates develop careers in areas like innovation design, strategy design and business development, brand/product and social enterprise development.
• learning strategies to generate social business
• understanding business model and the social business idea
• team work, problem solving and opportunity development;
• developing your entrepreneurial spirit
• learning intensively about the needs for the BOP (bottom of the pyramid)
• Critical discourses, design discourse that are appropriate to particular research questions;
• creative risk taking and experimentation, reiteration and learning from failure
• defining, analyzing and critically evaluating the characteristics of successful designs
• applying systematically tools, methodologies, key theories and critical discourses, to formulate responses to particular research questions;
• negotiating the adoption of innovative propositions within
• managing resources to achieve innovative results;
• identifying and developing innovative designs and adjacent innovations
• locating, evaluating and articulating the value of your activities and outcomes in terms of social business.
Business and Strategy
Designing and Innovation
Case Studies: Design Process Optimization for BOP Problems
Design methods, theory and research
Entrepreneurship and business planning
Master thesis: design for social business project
-Diehl Jan Carel
-Marta Lago Arenas