Design for Innovation Strategy
Continuing Study Programs - Barcelona
Global trends such as technological changes, population growth, demographic change, resource scarcity and climate change pose significant challenges for companies worldwide. A strategy based on innovation is a way, if not the only one, to achieve sustainable economic growth in the long term. Design is one of the key business tools that can promote, foster and facilitate innovation.
Design can help transform organizations, from influencing their business model to identifying new opportunities. Design & innovation methodologies can be applied from conception to development of new products and services, to its communication and/or customers’ relationships.
Design as a tool for innovation, integrated into the overall business strategy can become a key asset in the development of sustainable business models over time. This requires having professionals trained in specific skills, able to manage the design / innovation process, understood as a strategic business tool.
The Postgraduate focuses on the design and innovation methodologies for the identification of new business opportunities to create tangible value solutions.
In collaboration with renowned companies, the course is oriented to apply the tools and knowledge in real environments and real challenges.
- Credits: 30*
- Start date: January
- Duration: 3 months
- Attendance: part-time
- Language: English
The course aims to provide the knowledge for the understanding and use of design as a strategic tool to articulate and promote innovation. It seeks to train professionals to lead the management of complex processes of design and undertake new challenges, in order to exploit opportunities applying knowledge and methodologies to foster innovation:
- Equip the participants with the set of skills to promote, develop and manage innovation through design, either on a project or within an organization.
- Provide the knowledge and methodological tools to allow developing and managing innovative projects, from creating new products and services to create new business models or redefining processes, always from the perspective of "design thinking".
- Understanding the design methodologies and processes that allow bringing ideas into practice. From a critical approach, the course will provide the skills to be able to challenge the established procedures identify opportunities, implement innovative strategies through creativity and design, integrating all the knowledge involved in the innovation process.
IED Barcelona Intensive Postgraduates propose a dynamic methodology in which the course serves as a laboratory for analysis & exchange of information and discussion of cases. Participants will have the opportunity to share experiences with the speakers, in a climate of close dialogue that serves as a meeting point of their current knowledge and future career aspirations.
The course will have a practical “hands on” approach, combined with master classes and conferences. The students will have the opportunity to learn and experiment with the professors in a close collaboration environment. The classes are expected to become active workshops with a “learning by doing” approach integrated with the theoretical content provided by the professors.
The curriculum will be implemented in a dynamic environment, combining different types of classes to enable professional enrichment:
- Presentations in which a prestigious professional exposes topics that are then analyzed based on case studies.
- Sessions of debate and analysis to discuss on various working models, methodologies, tools, and applications.
- Technical classes on tools and resources delivered by prestigious industry professionals.
As an application of the new knowledge acquired during the course, students will conduct two research projects that include the stages of analysis, development, implementation plan and presentation of results.
Project 1 will be developed in groups, in order to experience and analyze the potential benefits of dynamic work in a multidisciplinary team. It is oriented as a preparation/experimentation for the second one.
Project 2 is also developed in groups, will be the main project of the course. The objective is to apply and implement all the methodologies and knowledge learned during the course, working on real challenges defined by the collaborating companies.To whom is it addressed
The Postgraduate is aimed at professionals, regardless of the area in which they play, that want to acquire specific tools and methodologies for design as a driver for innovation. Both to apply them into projects and/or to promote competitiveness in the organizations for which they work.
Designers from all disciplines, marketing and communication specialists, and those professionals dedicated to the world of business and strategic planning, have the right profile to participate in the program “Design for innovation strategy”.
Also entrepreneurs and manufacturers from different sectors will find the tools and methodologies to make a qualitative leap in their business approach.Student's Profile
-Grade/degree in any Design discipline, engineers, architects, marketing, communication and businesses professionals.
-Communication and marketing specialists,
-Professionals dedicated to the world of business and strategic planning
-Entrepreneurs and industrialists from different sectors seeking to question their own value creation processes and to find techniques and methodologies to rethink their approach to business
-Other professionals with proven experience in the field of design, innovation or marketingCareer Opportunities
Participants will have the skills to work in companies and organizations in several fields performing some of the following functions:
- Coordinate and develop processes for design innovation and its implementation as a strategic tool
- Identification of business opportunities through the methodologies learned
- Strategic vision for the conceptualization and development of new products and services
- Management and promotion of creative culture within the company
- Have the skills and vision for working in multidisciplinary teams.
The coordinator of the course defines the vision and approach, the contents and supports the choice of the teaching team and special lecturers, all of them professionals with extensive experience, and associated with prestigious institutions and organizations in their fields of expertise.Guido Charosky
Guido Charosky is an Industrial Designer graduated at the University of Buenos Aires, has a Masters degree in innovation from the Polytechnic University of Catalonia and has done graduate studies in business management at the School of Industrial Organization.
He works as Experience Design Lead for HP and is Co-Founder of Drop, a design & innovation consultancy. He is a professor of IED since 2008.
Previously he worked at Loop Business Innovation as design and innovation project manager.
Guido has experience in various fields of design & innovation ranging from product and service, interaction, interface, retail and packaging.
He has developed projects for companies such as CERN, HP, Indra, Danone, Volkswagen, Coca-Cola, Chicco, Revlon and Unilever among others. He worked on projects for Argentina, USA, Spain, England, Italy and Dubai.
He has written articles for journals and international congresses and has lectured at ESADE and LaSalle University.
He worked as a professor at the University of Buenos Aires, School Elisava and IDEP.
His work has been published in various magazines and newspapers and has won design awards in Argentina, Spain, Japan and Germany.Duration and frequency
Start: January 16th 2020
Frequency: 3 months
Timetable: Monday to Friday from 18.30h to 22.40h
* The educational planning for all IED Master courses is aligned with the criteria established by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The IED Master program has adopted a credit structure that follows the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). The IED Master issues private degrees.