Summer and Winter Courses - Barcelona
The swimwear industry is expanding rapidly all over the world, and Spain with Barcelona as one of the hubs, is in a leading position thanks to outstanding companies in this field.
The Summer Course in Beachwear Design and Pattern Making has been conceived to prepare professionals in designing and structuring a swimwear collection as well as introducing them to the patterning method.
Through lectures, practical sessions and visits, the student will understand the swimwear market and its competitors, the management and distribution of the retailers and brands, and also how to structure a collection plan and the swimwear design and pattern method.
In parallel, the students will undertake a project for a collection and make a prototype beachwear item. Work will be done on modelling, pattern-making, printing and making the prototype.
Start date: July
Duration: 4 weeks
- Understanding the market and the different channels within the collection structure retailers, hypermarket, brands and designer brands.
- Enabling future professionals to structure their own collection plan according to the target they want to reach and the distribution channel they want to sell through.
- Acquiring a thorough knowledge and real-life command of the different printing techniques. The goal is make a personal print at the IED printing centre.
- Learning how to present and specify their own creations following the different procedures designers use to send their designs to production, with technical specifications and measurement charts of the finished garment.
- Studying the methods of swimwear sewing, construction techniques and pattern making.
- Providing an introduction to the prototype fitting session and testing, in order to be able to contribute comments and correction for subsequent iterations.
- Each student produces a personal “dossier” with a collection plan, print development and patterns, including a photo shoot of the samples.
- To sum up, the main objective is to train and professionalize fashion designers in the specific field of swimwear design so they can develop a collection.
The structure of the course is intended to match the real-life work experience in order to provide a solid foundation of knowledge and skills. The course is heavily focused on practice, store and workshop visits, and projects in order to ensure solid integration with the beachwear industry.
All the classes have a brief theoretical introduction in order to establish basic concepts and ideas; but the course mainly draws on multiple case study analyses and workshops, as they are the best way to achieve the global vision required from business-aware future professionals.
Students are coached to achieve a good command of content provided, eventually acquiring the full range of skills and information needed to be capable of autonomously manage the full process of developing and producing a beachwear product.
Through several visits to the main retailers in Barcelona and mono-brand stores, students are provided with a global vision of the different beachwear distribution channels and collection structure.
Workshops are challenging, and they are the best way for students to understand and engage in the different steps in the production of a beachwear collection.
- Fabric research: before producing their own print design at the IED printing centre, students first have to practise with print and fabric selection using the hundreds of beachwear fabric hangers that the school will provide.
- Design and pattern making: guided by a professional, students have the opportunity to challenge their own capacity to conceive a design with a strong retail vision taking into account a range of determining factors, including pattern making and sewing technics.
Capsule collection project.
At IED, our extended experience with the summer course format has led to a certainty that a personal project is the most effective way to structure the learning process and make it truly effective.
This is an advanced course for Students with experience in design (ready to wear, Lingerie…etc) or people working in other areas of the fashion industry with a keen interest in the beachwear sector.
Students must have a good command, if possible, of drawing programs like Illustrator in order to produce their own collection.
- Beachwear designer.
- Beachwear patternmaker.
- Swimwear product manager.
Many years of experience (France and Spain) in coordination of textile collections, in positions of product manager, design director and creative coordinator of design team, in several sectors like active wear, outdoor, skiwear, intimate, beachwear, denim, and licensing design for brands or characters. In 2009 I created my design studio focused on design & product development, licensing design and licensing consulting.
Duration and frequency
1st of July 2019
Duration: 4 weeks
Timetable: Monday to Friday from 9.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.